At First Ascent we strive to foster a vibrant culture and a community of trust, positivity, and support. We welcome ALL people to climb and join our community — regardless of age, ability level, body type or size, race, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other identity, culture, or background.
Please recognize that climbing at First Ascent is a privilege. To keep that privilege, do your best to understand and follow the guidelines below; they are the foundation of our community.
1. Have Empathy. First Ascent hosts people from all backgrounds and ability levels. Do your best to appreciate others’ experience and honor them. This helps to create a welcoming environment for all.
2. Be Courteous. Practice self-awareness by making space for others. Being courteous at a climbing gym includes, but is not limited to, the following:
3. Share Resources. Share the many limited resources at the gym, such as autobelays, treadmills, boulder problems, routes, squat racks, etc. Be mindful of others and take turns.
4. Communicate Respectfully. First Ascent is a social space. When others speak, seek to listen to them fully before responding and appreciate their perspective. When you speak, seek to honor and respect others.
5. Be Supportive. Always aim to lift others up and never tear anyone down. Look for opportunities to elevate others experiences by celebrating successes and cheering on their efforts.
6. Speak Up. If you see dangerous or unwanted behavior, speak up — either tell a staff member or respectfully tell the offender. You can also anonymously report concerns here: firstascentclimbing.com/report.
7. Keep an Open Mind. We all aspire to follow these guidelines while acknowledging that no one is perfect. If a First Ascent staff or community member offers you an opportunity to grow or reflect on these guidelines, please listen and be open to what they have to say. It’s okay to respectfully disagree. In our spaces we assume the best of each other and are always working towards creating a better, safer, more welcoming environment for everyone.
To ensure a welcoming environment for all people at First Ascent, we will not tolerate racism, sexism, homophobia, ableism, or any other kind of discrimination. If you see or experience discrimination or individuals not adhering to these community guidelines at First Ascent, please report it to a manager or at firstascentclimbing.com/report and we will address it. At the discretion of First Ascent Staff, repeated or extreme violations of the Community Guidelines will result in consequences.
Thanks in advance for following these guidelines. We look forward to joining with you in fostering a vibrant, welcoming community!